Category Archives: Hepatic Lipidosis

Misu – so much better

Although not a very flattering picture of me, but Ron caught this photo when he came home to find me napping… with Misu also snuggling in.

He’s still looking a bit skinny with his shaved tummy but he is putting on some weight and eating and drinking all by himself. He still loves to sit in our laps but he doesn’t look sickly anymore and he’s actually a bit more playful than before he was sick. Probably with less the weight, he’s able to move around easier to chase the laser pointer.

We’re still not sure what the stress trigger was that made him suddenly stop eating and drinking but I hope it doesn’t happen ever again.

Wedding @ Villa Montalvo & Misu Mischief

This evening we attended the wedding of Galinna & Ben at Villa Montalvo. A few years ago we attended a wedding here as well and remember it as being very beautiful and elegant. We weren’t expecting the heat though as the previous wedding we went to was in October, quite a bit cooler. Unfortunately, my compact camera all of a sudden didn’t work (something about the “Camera Stabilizer is not available”) so I wasn’t able to take any real photos of the wedding itself. If you know me and cameras, then you know I was really disappointed.

But the wedding was beautiful even in the heat. They were smart to provide some iced water, tea, and lemonade prior to the ceremony so that we wouldn’t all faint and they had large umbrellas around the seats so at least there was some shade. There was a cute reception in the courtyard with trays of hor d’oeuvres and more refreshments. They were really organized with the photo taking as well since they handed out cards to the guests with a listing of the different group photos they were planning on taking, ie, bride’s family, groom’s family, bride’s coworkers, groom’s coworkers, college friends, etc. When it was time for the next group, they’d call out the group number and name so that everyone could head to take their photo with the bride and groom.

I was able to take some photos of the meal with my phone. Their salad was really delicious with the (large) piece of goat cheese and pears.

Ron and I both had the beef option, tri tip with rosemary mashed potatoes and some vegetables. The fresh rosemary sprig for the mashed potatoes made it taste extra yummy.

We sat with some very nice people and had an enjoyable time, especially when it finally started to cool down during the evening. Two deer families even ventured out onto the lawn behind us to graze on the grass. I’m sure that must be good luck!

We were able to take the centerpieces home so I took one of the roses. There were also peonies and chrysanthemums. They smell really sweet and actually I was surprised they were fragrant, most roses these days don’t have seem to have a strong fragrance.

As our card says to them “Wishing You a Lifetime of Happiness”, they are a beautiful couple and are sure to have a wonderful life together.

Now onto Misu Mischief… right before leaving for the wedding, we were trying to feed him and also get ourselves all dolled up for the wedding. Ron prepared his syringe of food and went to give Misu some then left the syringe attached to his feeding tube. Misu, being who he is, doesn’t like to be in the room alone when he knows we’re around so jumped up from where he was sitting and started walking around looking for us. Apparently he got spooked by the syringe being dragged behind him so started running. As he ran, the syringe got stuck around a table leg, and he kept moving forward… so you can guess what happens next…

The entire nasogastric tube is pulled out and Misu crawls underneath a chair to lick his wounds. The part of the tube outside was sutured to his face so basically he ripped it off and inside his nose and throat probably hurt from the NG tube coming out so fast. He didn’t seem to be bleeding or anything and was licking and cleaning himself so we figured he’d be okay for a few hours while we went to the wedding.

Upon coming home, he was very happy to see us and we offered him some of his dry cat food. Of great delight to us, he started eating!!

Then he even went to drink water by himself. So I hope this is a good sign that he’s got his appetite back. It just must have been really uncomfortable with the tube down his throat to swallow and with the tube sticking out his nose so that it was causing a painful pressure every time it was touched or pressed.

He’s looking better every day, seems to be putting on more weight and the inside of his ears are no longer yellow. He’s starting to look like his old self.

I will keep updating on his progress.

Nike Women’s Marathon Run Club & Misu

This morning was the kick-off of the Nike Women’s Marathon Run Club at Little Marina Green. I entered the lottery back in March and our group got chosen to run in the race. I haven’t done any running or any real training and haven’t been to the gym in almost a month. So I didn’t know if I’d survive today. The event started at 8am but prior to that they had some booths for trying on Nike shoes and snacks. Today’s run was 2 miles and they had pace runners for different times, I think they started at 7 minutes, 30 seconds up to 12 minutes and walkers (per mile). I tried the 11 minute, 30 second group but couldn’t quite do it but will try to work on it. I can home exhausted and napped until lunchtime. My legs are noticeably sore already…

I think the Run Club is open to everyone so check out their website. If you go to enough of them and get their “punch card” full, you can have the chance to register for the sold out race or if you’re already registered, to gain access to the VIP area on race day. You get to try out their Nike shoes and their product called Nike Plus, which allows you to track your running progress in a fun and easy way with your iPod.

Update on Misu, we’ve been allowing Misu to go without his plastic cone so that he can be more comfortable and he is very good and doesn’t try to scratch at his NG tube. Ron said the only time he saw him fiddling with it was when he was grooming himself and wanted to groom that side of his face.

We tested him out on the TarePanda plush that Tiff gave us and he seems to really like it. I have to admit it is pretty comfortable, sort of like a memory foam pillow. After feeding him, I’ll put him on it and he’ll stay there for a long time. At least until he needs to use the bathroom, wants some water, or until we sit down because then he prefers to sit in our lap.

Misu without his plastic cone on.

Unfortunately he did vomit again yesterday after lunch so we decided to feed him less since we had also increased his water intake. It just might be his stomach is way too full. He seems to be okay after his late meal tonight so we’ll see how he does.

Misu Hepatic Lipidosis Day 10

This last week I’ve been waking up around 6am, prepare Misu’s three medications, give him his medications and water flush, try to entice him with some wet cat food and when that fails, draw up his tube feeds, warm it in the microwave for 12 seconds, make my coffee, then sit down to feed him while he is sitting in my lap for about 15-20 minutes while I’m having my coffee, give him an additional 10-15 ml of water then let him sit in my lap for an additional 15 minutes to make sure his stomach tolerated the food and water.

My morning routine includes watching Animal Planet’s It’s Me or the Dog from 6:30-7am and Underdog to Wonderdog 7am-8am before heading to work.

Ron feeds him at lunchtime and I usually feed him when I get home from work then Ron will give him his last feeding around 11pm-12am.

Misu had a bit of a setback at lunchtime and vomited everything in his stomach about 30 minutes after Ron finished feeding him. We hope he doesn’t have some sort of obstruction since there were some cat treats he had eaten the day before in what he threw up.

I didn’t realize we were supposed to skip a feeding but gave him half of the required amount of tube feeds when I got back from work. He seemed okay but didn’t want to chance giving him the whole thing.

I hope this incident won’t set his recovery back. His jaundice really does look a lot better and he seems to be gaining weight.

Misu Vet Visit #2

So Misu went to the vet today to get his nasogastric feeding tube checked out since it was starting to come out after the suture broke. The vets tried to push it back in and added another suture so it would stop moving but it’s still sticking out a bit and preventing him from really eating regular cat food. Everytime he leans down to eat, the tube presses on the bottom of the plate or food and hurts his nostril… oh well, we’re giving him the calories he needs for now. It seems like he’s improving, the jaundice is much better, his ears are less yellow and he went from 8.8lbs on admission to now 10 lbs in less than a week! The vets said he still looks a little bit dehydrated so we were instructed to give him a bit more water each week. He’ll go for another check-up sometime next week.

We took the cone off for about 10 minutes to clean it up and he seemed to really enjoy the time with it off. I was scratching his head all over and he was lolling his head around and trying to get me to scratch his ears, while Ron was washing the cone. If only we knew he wouldn’t scratch at it then we could leave the cone off… hopefully only a few more weeks of it after he gains back his weight and can eat on his own.